Are you looking for an easy, delicious, healthy and satisfying pasta dish to cook on a Friday night? One that everyone will love and won’t leave you with a huge mess to clean up? Great! You’ve found it! Give this delicious dish a go…you won’t be disappointed.
This is the post I was supposed to write yesterday before I got side tracked dreaming the afternoon away thinking about (two of my favorite things….) art and Italy. I have to thank my Aunty Sue for this one…she is the inspiration behind this recipe (and I use that term loosely) as she made it for us in Italy and we all went mad for it. Now I cook it about once a week…it’ a great dish for kids, mine love it and I hope yours will love it too.
Penne Pasta with Tuna, Broccoli and Olives
What you will need:
400g Penne Pasta – or the Farfelli (bow ties) work nicely too and the kid love it.
1 head of broccoli, cut into bite size florets
1-2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1-2 chilli or a pinch of dry flakes (optional)
1 cup pitted kalamata olives, cut in half
1 185g tin of good quality tuna in oil
juice of 1/2 lemon
pepper and salt if desired
Good handful of parmesan cheese
What to do:
- Bring a pot of water to the boil, add a generous pinch of salt, then add your pasta and cook as the packet directs – for penne it’s usually about 8 minutes.
- When you estimate the pasta has two minutes to go, tip in all the broccoli and cook with the pasta for the last two minutes.
- When the pasta is cooked, tip in to a colander and return your empty hot pot to the stove over medium heat.
- Add a good few slugs of olive oil to the pot, then add the garlic and chilli (if using). After a minute, add your tuna and olives and stir for a minute or two to warm through.
- Add your pasta and broccoli and give it a good stir to evenly mix the tuna through. Add your lemon juice and some pepper – taste first before adding salt as the olives can be quite salty already.
- Serve hot from the pot with a generous sprinkle of parmesan, an extra drizzle of your olive oil and extra chilli for the Dads.
I hope you like this dish as much as we do!
Happy Eating and have a fantastic weekend!!!