I love toast! It is probably my favourite thing to eat. When everyone else is hunkering down at brunch to eggs, bacon and other delights, you can bet I will be the one ordering the sour dough. The thick slices, the crunch, the chewy, sour, toasty flavour – yum! What you have on your toast is completely up to you but the possibilities are endless…here are just a few.
Byron inspired Ricotta, Avocado and Lemon on Toasted Sour Dough
This is how I do it but go for any way you like…thickly spread on the ricotta, followed by sliced avocado, followed by a drizzle of oil, then a squeeze of lemon and finally, a sprinkle of sea salt flakes…it’s theatre for brunch (or breakfast, lunch, dinner…) So delicious.
Quick Bruschetta of Tomato and Basil Pesto
Chop some tomato and red onion and place in a bowl. Add a drizzle of olive oil, a squeeze of lemon, some sea salt and freshly ground pepper and a few basil or parsley leaves if you have some. Spread the basil pesto (store bought or home made) or any pesto you like really (for my recipe see here), then top with the tomato. Finish with a few shavings of fresh parmesan if you are so inclined.
* Low fodmap – leave out the onion…it’s still delicious!
I am working on a spelt bread recipe as lots of you have asked about it…still fine tuning but should hopefully be bringing it to you soon x
- Hummus is great on toast – especially with soup. Try it with freshly sliced tomato, maybe some good quality ham and salt and pepper for a quick and easy meal.
- Baked Ricotta and fruit is delicious…try it with fresh banana and a drizzle of honey, strawberries and maple syrup or roasted pear…what a treat!
- Home made peanut butter – just whiz up some peanuts in the food processor adding a little macadamia oil to loosen if required.
- Pesto and melted cheddar…delightful.
- Fruit toast with raspberry jam and Mersey Valley cheddar…OMG…the cheese just melts a little on to the hot fruit toast and is a taste sensation! Got me through many nights when the kids were small…so, so delicious.
Are you inspired to head out for some warm, crusty bread over the weekend? Check out your local artisan bakeries or Farmer’s Markers…
So, come on…what’s your favourite thing to have on toast…leave a comment and spread the word…lol!
Have a wonderful weekend!